Mercola.com sells a whole body vibration machine called “Power Plate,” which may be top of the line in bells and whistles; but basically these useless extras are adding several thousand dollars to the price, and no real benefit.
Dr. Mercola is a wonderful wizard of getting beneficial nutrition information out to a large audience — helping people. That’s admirable. But selling overpriced, gimmicky products like the “Power Plate” is not.
Weight loss: “How Whole Body Vibrational Training Tackles ‘Belly’ or Abdominal Fat”
- Mercola.com cites “A recent human study of 79 obese adults” as evidence that this claim is worth betting your money on. That may be true; but medical “studies” are simply not reliable.
Cellulite: “Is Acceleration Training the Newest Way to Help Beat Cellulite?”
- Mercola.com cites “a 2004 German study” as evidence that this claim is pure veritas.
Vibration: “Power Plate’s Patented 2-Motor Systems Truly Delivers a 3-D Workout”
- The “tri-planar” idea is purely marketing. The work that causes WBV-effects is done on your body in the vertical direction, not in either horizontal direction.
Machine: “Power Plate’s Patented 2-Motor Systems Truly Delivers a 3-D Workout”
- BUT WHAT IS A “3-D workout”?!!!
- Okay, the Power Plate vibrates in 3 dimensions. In that context, The Whole Body Vibrator vibrates in 2 dimensions… Does this matter at all?
- No, it’s vertical vibration that matters. If vertical vibration were removed, leaving only horizontal movements of the plate, you’d feel next-to-nothing. No affect on fluid circulation, no affect on muscle contractions, etc. That’s not WBV. Horizontal vibrations are not important.
Warranty: “With Power Plate, you Know they’ll be there”
- Nobody knows the future. This is insulting to anyone shopping for a fair value.
… Sensational claims like these are how to “oversell” a vibration machine. Shady promises; sexy photos, and an inflated price.
WHY IS THE POWER PLATE SO EXPENSIVE?
- Because it’s sold by a large company, which has large marketing costs that must be covered by higher prices; and many people to pay, to keep Mercola.com operating.
- The “Power Plate” has been dressed up with every fancy gimmick to appeal to a mass audience.
DOES THE WHOLE BODY VIBRATOR DO BASICALLY WHAT THE POWER PLATE DOES?
Yes. But also…
- Weighing about 50 pounds, the Whole Body Vibrator can be moved easily. The lightest version of the Power Plate is 125 pounds. Not fun to move around.
- The Whole Body Vibrator requires NO ASSEMBLY AT ALL. Open the box, unwrap it, plug it in, push a button to start: Pure Enjoyment.
WBV IS RELAXING, but what if your machine will not stay on longer that 60 seconds?!
- the Power Plate will NOT work for longer than 30 or 60 seconds at a time.
- This was probably done in order to meet a misguided requirement for “certification” by “MDD” i.e., European Medical Device Directive. See Vibration Safety.
- The Whole Body Vibrator does not claim any medical benefit. It is not certified. Relaxation is a subjective claim; but sure enough, when you’re relaxed, you don’t want that serene feeling to SHUT DOWN every 60 seconds – that might turn your relaxation into frustration.
The Whole Body Vibrator: Factual claims & a reasonable price.
The Whole Body Vibrator is all business, no BS.